Monday, January 18, 2010

Oh. My. God.


After seven months of TERRIBLE sleep, Raph and I have had it. It would be one thing if Remick were consolable in the middle of the night, like if I nursed him he'd go back to sleep. But NO. I have held him crying in the middle of the night for over an hour. After Friday night, we agreed we couldn't go on like this.

So we let him cry on Sat. I went to a play (which was AWESOME!) and when I came home Remick was crying. Not loud or frantic or anything, more whiny, complaining. Raph said he had been crying for 20 minutes or so. He tells me to go lay down in Makili's room, which I do. I laid in bed in agony listening to Remick's crying ramp up. I was suffering. He was suffering. I knew Raph would be disappointed with me if I caved on our agreement. So it went on. Eventually he stopped working on his midterm, came in the room, put on some music to help me block out the crying. We had agreed I could go in at 2:00, since that would have been 7 hours since the last time I nursed. But, the next thing I knew, I woke up and it was 5:30! My boobs were about to fall off my chest, but there was no crying! I woke him up to nurse. And he went right back to sleep to 7:30.

I was prepared for worst again last night. He went to bed at 8:30. Quietly and without much fuss. I waited for the crying to commence. And I waited. I woke up at 4:00 am, having gotten more sleep in one shot than I have in over half a year. I couldn't sleep, but there was still no crying. He woke at 5:00! (that's 8.5 hours), nursed and went back to sleep. I won't pretend that I expect more nights like that, but oh my god! Can you believe that! I am so thankful!

2 comments:

beckarecka said...

Wahoo for some real sleep! Hope it keeps up--without any crying.

Baby Bird said...

what a relief!!! so happy for you. zoey will go to sleep with eric in the middle of the night when she wakes up now, and i feel like a free bird, so i understand. although, i have to say, at least i could get her back to sleep by nursing. i'm so sorry you had/have to deal with a crying baby all night. i hope this keeps up in a good direction :) you certainly gave it a GREAT try to do it the way you wanted.