Thursday, May 31, 2007

Kindness




Yesterday I was late for the staff meeting, which was a mandatory Mexican fiesta. I had a student in my room, which I felt was more important than the taco bar, so I wasn't in a huge hurry to get up there. The security guard/ faculty Scrabble champion, Jay, came and picked me up on the golf cart, which surprised me, never having been allowed that luxury before. I asked her if she was coming to get me because I was late. She said, "No. Because your hapai (Hawaiian for pregnant)." So I jumped on and headed to the faculty meeting, got a big bowl of ice cream and settled in. Hardly had I parked my backside and started stuffing my face with ice cream and toasted coconut when I was called to the front of the room to receive gifts. I was truly overwhelmed with the kindness of my coworkers who made me this quilt and diaper cake. What thought and creativity went into this! Pahoa is a special place and we have loved our school.

No comments: